Day out with my bro around Melbourne in December 2014.
A great gluten-free alternative to using pasta sheets. Looks ugly, but tastes hella good.
3 large sheets of 卷粉(Juan Fen) , that can be cut up to a total of 6 layers that fit your pan
250 gm grated cheddar cheese
2 tbs of dry sprinkle parmesan cheese
1 chilli, chopped
1 red capsicum (red bell pepper), chopped
1 tomato, chopped
¾ of an onion, diced
500 gm Beef Mince
1 large clove of garlic, chopped
1 large carrot, diced into small pieces
2 large shitake mushrooms, cut into small pieces
1 tsp Italian herbs
Bechamel Sauce (adapted from Taste.com.au)
60g chopped butter
1/3 cup plain flour
4 ½ cups milk
75g cheddar cheese, finely grated
½ tsp salt
Pinch of ground nutmeg
***Makes 4 servings.***
- Brown beef mince, garlic and onion together with a little cooking oil and pinch of salt (in a wok or pan).
- Add chopped shitake mushrooms and Italian herbs to the mixture.
- Cook until fragrant and beef mince is just done.
- Set aside to cool. (Also can be prepared the day before and just thrown into the pan to warm up when ready to make the lasagne.)
- Using the same wok or pan, add a small amount of cooking oil, and brown the diced onion.
- Add in capsicum, tomato and chilli. Cook until fragrant and the tomato has lost some of its moisture. Around 5 minutes.
- Mix into the beef mince mixture, ensure both mixtures are incorporated.
- Make béchamel sauce (white sauce) by heating milk over a medium heat and melting the butter in it. Make sure you constantly whisk the milk as you make this to stop it from burning.
- Stir in flour slowly, a little at a time. You will notice that it thickens.
- Add cheese, salt and nutmeg whilst stirring.
- Remove from heat once everything has incorporated.
- Line oven pan with foil (or not, up to you!)
- Start with the 卷粉 Juan Fen on the bottom, Layer in the following order: 卷粉Juanfen, Meat mixture, layer of cheddar cheese, sprinkle Italian herbs.
- Repeat layers until ingredients run out. The top layer should be 卷粉 Juan Fen
- Top with shredded cheese, parmesan cheese and Italian herbs.
- Bake in oven at 180C for 30 minutes, or until top is brown and crispy.
Use a scoop or label to serve. Enjoy with garlic bread and/or salad.